OMG! The computer ate my term paper! We’ve all encountered this type of situation at some point of our life. You erase an important file, somehow it skips your recycle bin, and for all the practical purposes, it disappears into the universe. But before you hit the big red panic button, there’s a very good chance that your file is still alive and is present somewhere on your hard disk. You just need to know how to find it. With the right tools, finding and recovering those erased file can be as simple as ABC.
When a file is erased from your computer, its content is not erased but only reference to file data in File Allocation Table or Master File Table is erased. The OS simply marks that hard disk space as deleted and makes that free space as available. Contrary to what you might think, it is possible and quite easy to recover erased file. However the most important step with any file recovery technique is to avoid using the computer especially the drive that holds the erased files. There is a good chance that the file is still present on your pc but if you use the computer, the possibility of file recovery reduces.
How files get erased?
- Accidentally erasing an important file by using “Select All” option to select all the files which included an important file
- Third-party applications software conflicting with your OS and erasing your file
- Power Failure when the file is in use
- File erased due to virus and malware attack
- Using “Ctrl” key for selecting multiple files for deletion and unknowingly selecting an important file along with it
- While moving an important file from one storage device to another
- Using “Shift+del” option to erase a file which bypasses the recycle bin
- Erasing an important file of large size which failed to get stored in the recycle bin
Verify that the files have actually been erased:-
- In some cases the files may have been moved. You can search the hard drive for the files you believe to be missing by running “find” or “search” on the computer
- If the file has been backed up to your pen drive or other storage medium. It is recommended that the file be restored from that
- Check out the Recycle bin
If nothing helps, you can always rely on any third party application software’s such as Yodot. By using this software you can rescue critical files on Windows operating system. It recovers all your deleted documents, images, videos and audio files.
How Yodot File Recovery works?
- Download and install Yodot File Recovery software. Click here to download the software
- Launch the software and follow the onscreen procedure
- Use “Delete File Recovery” option to retrieve your erased files
- Select the drive / partition from where files are to be recovered
- View the retrieved data in two different views i.e. data view and file type view which eases your search
- Click on “Data View” button to display your files in hierarchical format or click on “File Type View” displays your deleted files based on file extension format
- Choose the desired files from the list, which you want to retrieve back and click on “Next” button
- Save the recovered files to any desired location or drive, you may also compress them which saves memory
- You can also save the files onto any optical storage devices such as CDs and DVDs